Demon Slayer: Characters We Need To See
Demon Slayer has a lot of cool characters, one consistent trait that the best anime always seem to have is a wide array of characters that leave an impact on the viewer. The recent breakout star, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba is no different in this regard, having a lot of its own unique and colorful characters making up the cast.
- Tanjiro Kamado (竈門 炭治郎, Kamado Tanjiro) is the oldest son of a charcoal-seller. His entire family was massacred by Muzan Kibutsuji while he was selling charcoal, with only his sister Nezuko Kamado surviving, having been turned into a demon. His goal is to find a cure for her and turn her back into a human, and it is to this end that he decides to join the Demon Slayer Corps. He initially trained under Sakonji Urokodaki, learning the “Water Breathing” (水の呼吸, Mizu no kokyū) sword-style, but later he began to use his family’s “Hinokami Kagura” (ヒノカミ神楽, lit. “Dance of the Fire God”) technique, which itself is based on the original breath style, the “Sun Breathing” (日の呼吸, Hi no kokyū) merging both to create a more sustainable fighting style. His skull is extremely thick and his headbutts are often used as gags throughout the series. He is a pure, and kind-hearted individual, always looking after the well being of his commrades, and even feeling guilt and sorrow when defeating his enemies. He has been shown to been merciful and understanding of the demons he fights, as he has the ability to sense the pain they have gone through. His endless optimism and simple nature often have people enjoy his company, but at the same time, it also puts him at odds with certain personalities. Tanjiro has a heightened sense of smell which allows him to track down demons and evade their attacks; it also allows him to figure out people’s real emotions. Tanjiro‘s sword is colored black, occasionally turning crimson red and becoming much stronger when combined with Nezuko Kamado‘s “Blood Demon Art: Exploding Blood”, a technique he later learns to perform without her help. Though he eventually avenges his family during the final battle, losing his arm and eye in the process while being fatally wounded, both are restored during Muzan‘s attempt to turn him into his successor by transforming him into a demon, but thanks to his friends’ efforts, he has been able to become human again.
- Nezuko Kamado Kamado (竈門 禰豆子, Kamado Nezuko Kamado) is the daughter of a charcoal-seller and Tanjiro‘s younger sister who was turned into a demon. Despite Muzan‘s assumption that he killed them all in his attempt to sire a sun-resistant demon, Nezuko Kamado survived as a demon with her mind mostly gone. However, she retained enough of her memories to keep herself from killing Tanjiro. Due to two years of hypnotic conditioning by Urokodaki, Nezuko Kamado regards all humans as her family and will mercilessly attack any demon that threatens them. Instead of consuming human flesh, Nezuko Kamado regains energy from sleep and tends to become unconscious for long periods of time after overexerting herself. Initially, she is unable to speak and must wear a bamboo muzzle, given to her by Giyuu Tomioka,gag to keep from biting anyone. However in later volumes, the muzzle is removed and she gains the power of speech, albeit very broken due to not speaking for more than two years. Nezuko Kamado has several powers, including regeneration, superhuman strength, growing and shrinking rapidly, as well as a blood demon technique called “Exploding Blood” (爆血, Bakketsu) that causes her blood to burn once it leaves her body. Tanjiro generally carries her around in a wooden box (a gift from Urokodaki) until she develops the ability to survive exposure to sunlight, with Muzan targeting her soon after. Nezuko Kamado‘s mind and humanity are eventually restored during the final battle against Muzan Kibutsuji, and it is implied that she helps Tanjiro recover from his demon transformation by allowing him to ingest her blood, which contains antibodies for Muzan‘s demonic blood.
- An extremely cowardly boy who was forced to join the Demon Slayer Corps at around the same time as Tanjiro to pay for his debts, Zenitsu Agatsuma (我妻 善逸, Agatsuma Zen’itsu) trained in the “Thunder Breathing” (雷の呼吸, Kaminari no kokyū) style by the former Thunder Hashira, but was only able to learn the first technique, and because of this he often belittles himself, despite the fact that he is talented. He joins up with Tanjiro on a mission and since then, he has tagged along with him, partially out of his infatuation with Nezuko Kamado, but also due to recognizing how honest and kind he is. His cowardly personality initially hinders him and he is only able to fight when he is unconscious or asleep, but he later learns to push his fears aside and take action when needed, to the point of developing a new, exclusive thunder technique. Zenitsu‘s sword is colored gold. He has a heightened sense of hearing which allows him to distinguish a person’s true character by the sound of their heartbeat and track demons.
- A young boy who was raised by his mother Kotoha Hashibira for a short time until she was murdered by the Upper Moon Two, Doma. After she sacrificed herself to save his life, he was raised by wild boars, and then taught to read and write by an old man. Inosuke Hashibira (嘴平 伊之助, Hashibira Inosuke) uses a self-taught style called “Beast Breathing” (獣の呼吸, Kedamono no kokyū), along with two serrated swords in battle. When he gets new swords, he purposely makes them serrated in order to match his preference and fighting style (much to the swordsmith’s anger). He is brash and prone to reacting violently, and while he appears dim, he has proven himself in battle time after time. He is extremely muscular and rugged, which contrasts with his oddly effeminate face, which he normally hides under a boar’s head mask. This mask was actually made from the head of his deceased boar mother, and he wears it in memory of her. When Inosuke first meets Tanjiro, he treats him as an enemy, but they quickly become friends as they fight together. He often challenges Tanjiro to competitions that are accepted in good spirit. He took the test at the same time as Tanjiro and Zenitsu and was apparently the first to clear it. Inosuke‘s swords are colored blue-grey. He has a heightened sense of touch, being able to locate enemies by feeling the vibrations in the air.
- Kanao Tsuyuri (栗花落 カナヲ, Tsuyuri Kanao) is a Demon Slayer who joins at the same time as Tanjiro, Zenitsu and Genya. She is the protegé of Shinobu Kochō, the current Insect Hashira, and is being trained as a Tsuguko, or successor to the Hashira – however, it does not necessarily mean that she is an Insect Hashira nor has the same “breathing technique” as Shinobu. She uses the “Flower Breathing” (花の呼吸, Hana no kokyū) style and is a highly-skilled fighter, but has difficulty functioning without being directly told what to do. She grew up in a poor, abusive household and was sold as a slave, leading her to shut off her emotions as a way to cope. Even after being rescued and taken in by Shinobu and Kanae, she would never do anything unless ordered, so Kanae gave her a coin to flip which she could use whenever she had trouble making decisions. She relies heavily on her coin flipping to make decisions until Tanjiro becomes friendly with her, which convinces her to use the coin less often and stick to her own intuition. It is also implied that she may have feelings for Tanjiro, to the point of risking her life to help save him when he was turned into a demon. Later in the series, it has been shown that she and Tanjiro had descendants, thus confirming her romantic relationship with Tanjiro. Kanao‘s sword is colored pink and her heightened sense of sight allows her to easily dodge enemy attacks, but she strains herself by overusing this ability during her fight with Doma, to the point of becoming blind in one eye. She is later revealed to have married Tanjiro, having two great-great-grandsons named Kanata Kamado and Sumihiko Kamado between them.
- A Demon Slayer who joins at the same time as Tanjiro Kamado and Zenitsu Agatsuma. Genya Shinazugawa (不死川 玄弥, Shinazugawa Gen’ya) is a harsh and foul-mouthed individual obsessed with nothing beyond demon killing. His personality later changes after he fights beside Tanjiro to save the Hidden Swordsmith Village. Unlike most other Demon Slayers, he is unable to use Breaths or most sword fighting styles. Instead, he eats parts of the demons he fights, and through his special digestive system, he temporarily gains demonic powers. His powers can be greater depending on the strength and the amount of the demon he devourers. When he devours part of a demon, he is also susceptible to a demon’s weaknesses. He also carries a gun that shoots specialized bullets that are made of the same material as the Demon Slayers’ Nichirin blades. He is the younger brother of Sanemi Shinazugawa, the current Wind Hashira, who always avoids him, unaware that his older brother wants him to have a normal life. Genya is mortally wounded while assisting the Hashira against Kokushibo, reconciling with his brother before passing away.
Demon Slayer Corps
The Demon Slayer Corps (鬼殺隊, Kisatsutai) is an organization that has existed since ancient times, dedicated to protect humankind from demons. There are hundreds of Demon Slayers within the organization, but they act in secrecy even from the Japanese government. The most powerful swordsmen among the Demon Slayers are the Hashira (柱, Hashira, Pillar) who serve as its elite warriors.
- Kagaya Ubuyashiki (産屋敷 耀哉, Ubuyashiki Kagaya)
- The 97th leader of the Demon Slayer Corps whose family established the organization. He is a distant relative of Muzan and his entire bloodline was cursed with a disease that slowly kills them before reaching their thirties, possibly because of their connection with Muzan’s blood. He sacrificed himself to weaken Muzan with a massive explosion which destroys his family estate.
- Amane Ubuyashiki (産屋敷 あまね, Ubuyashiki Amane)
- The wife and caretaker of Kagaya. She died in the explosion of the Ubuyashiki estate.
- Hinaki Ubuyashiki (産屋敷 雛衣, Ubuyashiki Hinaki)
- The eldest twin daughter of Kagaya and Amane. She died in the explosion of the Ubuyashiki estate.
- Nichika Ubuyashiki (産屋敷 日夏, Ubuyashiki Nichika)
- The second eldest twin daughter of Kagaya and Amane. She died in the explosion of the Ubuyashiki estate.
- Kiriya Ubuyashiki (産屋敷 輝利哉, Ubuyashiki Kiriya)
- Kagaya’s son who appears during Tanjiro‘s Demon Slayer Exam. He is almost identical to his younger sisters Kanata and Kuina with the exception of his black hair to their white hair. After the death of his father, Kiriya quickly steps in as Kagaya’s successor, commanding the Slayer Corps in the final battle against Muzan and his forces. After Muzan’s death, Kiriya officially disbands the Demon Slayer Corps, as their mission to vanquish Muzan and his demons was accomplished. Later it is shown that he became the longest living person in Japan, still alive after the time skip to the modern times that occurs in the last chapter.
- Kanata Ubuyashiki (産屋敷 彼方, Ubuyashiki Kanata)
- The youngest of Kagaya’s children alongside she younger twin Kuina, Kanata is seen accompanying Kiriya. After the death of her father, she assists Kiriya during the final battle.
- Kuina Ubuyashiki (産屋敷 杭奈, Ubuyashiki Kuina)
- The youngest of Kagaya’s children alongside she older twin Kanata. After the death of her father, she assists Kiriya during the final battle.
- Giyū Tomioka (冨岡 義勇, Tomioka Giyū)
- The current Water Hashira; he is the first Demon Slayer that Tanjiro comes across. He initially tries to kill Nezuko Kamado, but reconsiders after seeing her protect an unconscious Tanjiro as he sends them to his mentor Urokodaki in the hopes that Tanjiro could succeed him and possibly cure Nezuko Kamado. He does not think of himself as a true Hashira, despite mastering Water Breathing as he considered his fellow apprentice Sabito, who died saving other Demon Slayers-in-training, more suited for the role. He has developed an additional technique to Water Breathing, which he alone knows. He loses an arm during the final battle against Muzan, but survives after the demon is destroyed.
- Shinobu Kochō (胡蝶 しのぶ, Kochō Shinobu)
- The current Insect Hashira. She is rather coolheaded and always has a smile on her face, no matter what situation she is put in. She enjoys teasing others, mostly she likes to annoy Giyu Tomioka, about how no one likes him. Behind her cheerful facade, she harbors a deep rage towards all demons for taking the lives of many of her loved ones, including her older sister by the Upper Two Doma. But Nezuko Kamado becomes an exception after learning more about her. Unlike the other Hashira, she does not have the strength to behead them, using instead a small, thin sword with only a cutting edge on the tip to kill demons by inoculating them with a wisteria-based poison she developed. Shinobu sacrifices herself to defeat Doma, having consumed massive doses of wisteria so Doma would be poisoned the moment he devoured her with Kanao and Inosuke finishing him off. Before to her death, she also helped Tamayo with developing the cure for Nezuko Kamado‘s demon condition and a mix of poisons used on Muzan to greatly weaken him.
- Her Japanese last name 胡蝶 (Kochō) means “butterfly”.
- Kyojuro Rengoku (煉獄 杏寿郎, Rengoku Kyōjurō)
- The current Flame Hashira after inheriting the title from his father Shinjuro, coming off cheerfully eccentric but is pure-hearted and honorable as of his mother instilling him with his moral code of protecting the weak. He was assigned to investigate the Mugen Train with Tanjiro and his friends and helps dispatch Enmu before he is fatally wounded in his fight against Akaza of the Twelve Kizuki. After using his last moments to direct Tanjiro to his father, the youth had the guard of Kyojuro’s broken sword installed into his new sword in respect for the Hashira.
- Tengen Uzui (宇髄 天元, Uzui Tengen)
- The current Sound Hashira and former shinobi. He has three wives who work as scouts but is forced to quit the position after losing a hand and an eye in a battle against the Upper Ranks. He reappears in the final battle against Muzan, standing guard to protect Kiriya along Kyojuro’s father.
- Mitsuri Kanroji (甘露寺 蜜璃, Kanroji Mitsuri)
- The current Love Hashira and a former disciple of Kyōjurō. She has an odd personality and superhuman strength due to having denser muscles than the average human. Her sword is made from a malleable metal that only she can properly wield. She is super flexible. She joined the Demon Slayer Corps as she wanted a man that would love her to be stronger than her. She especially admires the other male pillars and would always praise them in her mind. Thus, when she was mortally wounded during the final battle against Muzan Kibutsuji, she declared her love for Obanai Iguro, before dying alongside him. The epilogue showed her reincarnated in the Reiwa Era and married to Iguro as they run a restaurant together.
- Muichirō Tokitō (時透 無一郎, Tokitō Muichirō)
- The current Mist Hashira. He had a twin brother who was killed by a demon when they were younger and always blamed himself for being the only survivor, until Tanjiro manages to cheer him up. Due to the incident, he had lost some of his memory which was restored after realizing Tanjiro Kamado had the same red eyes as his father. He is killed in the battle against Upper One, Kokushibo, his ancestor and also brother of the first user of the Sun Breathing, Yoriichi. Eventually he reincarnates as a baby alongside his brother.
- Gyomei Himejima (悲鳴嶼 行冥, Himejima Gyōmei)
- The current Stone Hashira and considered the strongest among them. A man of gigantic stature, Gyomei is a former monk who took care of orphaned children. After the children are murdered by a demon and he is framed for the crime, even though he protected them from it, he became more ruthless but still caring. He pities Tanjiro at first due to Nezuko Kamado being a demon, but later acknowledges him after seeing how honest he is. He is the only Hashira who does not use a sword, fighting with a huge, chained metal ball with spikes, and an axe which he can wield with ease due to his massive size and strength. He loses a leg in the final battle against Muzan Kibutsuji before dying from blood loss from his wounds.
- Obanai Iguro (伊黑 小芭内, Iguro Obanai)
- The current Serpent Hashira who is always accompanied by his pet snake, Kaburamaru. He was raised by his family, an all-female clan of bandits, as an offering to a serpentine demon they worshiped, only to be rescued by Shinjuro Rengoku and joined the Slayer Corps as a means of venting his rage over how his family was destroyed by their association with the demon. He is infatuated with Mitsuri and gets easily jealous when she becomes close to someone else. Despite being blinded during the final battle with Muzan Kibutsuji, he still manages to assist Tanjiro due to his connection with Kaburamaru, who allows him to see through its eyes thanks to Yushiro’s magic scrolls. But he ends up mortally wounded and declares his love for Mitsuri Kanroji, the Love Hashira, before dying alongside her. After his death, Kaburamaru’s care is entrusted to Kanao Tsuyuri. The epilogue showed Iguro reincarnated in the Reiwa Era and married to Mitsuri as they run a restaurant together.
- Sanemi Shinazugawa (不死川 実弥, Shinazugawa Sanemi)
- The current Wind Hashira. He is the older brother of Genya Shinazugawa and always shuns him. Despite seemingly disliking his brother, Sanemi actually intends to have his brother quit the Demon Slayer Corps so he can live a normal life. He is one of the two Hashira who survive the final battle against Muzan Kibutsuji and the Upper Ranks, the other being Giyu Tomioka. He loses two of his right hand fingers during his battle against Upper One, Kokushibo.
- Aoi Kanzaki (神崎 アオイ, Kanzaki Aoi)
- One of Shinobu’s students. Despite having passed the exam to join the Demon Slayers, she became too afraid to fight in the frontlines and since then she oversees the rehabilitation of wounded Demon Slayers who are treated at the Butterfly Estate.
- Goto (後藤, Gotō)
- A member of the Kakushi, the clean-up brigade of the Demon Slayers.
- Sumi Nakahara (中原 すみ, Nakahara Sumi), Naho Takada (高田 なほ, Takada Naho) and Kiyo Terauchi (寺内 きよ, Terauchi Kiyo)
- Three little girls who work as servants in the Butterfly Estate. They were taken in by Shinobu after their families were killed by demons.
- Hotaru Haganezuka (鋼鐵塚 螢, Haganezuka Hotaru))
- One of the swordsmiths who makes swords for the Demon Slayer Corps. He makes Tanjiro‘s sword. He has little focus on anything beyond swords and he flies into a murderous rage whenever Tanjiro breaks or loses his sword, only calming down when he is given dango.
- Kozo Kanamori (鉄穴森 鋼蔵, Kanamori Kōzō)
- One of the swordsmiths who makes swords for the Demon Slayer Corps. He makes Inosuke‘s swords. Also flies into a murderous rage when Inosuke used a rock to chip his swords.
- Kotetsu (虎徹)
- A 10 year old who inherits his family’s mechanical doll which was made on reference of Yoriichi. The doll had six arms as that was the only way to replicate Yoriichi’s techniques. He was injured by Gyokko, the Upper Five, but was saved from the stab by Tanjiro‘s handguard.
- Murata (村田, Murata)
- A member of the Demon Slayer Corps who was sent to Natagumo Mountain. One of the survivors of the operation to slay the Spider Family, he becomes friends with Tanjiro and appears on few other occasions during the series. Like Tanjiro, Murata also uses Water Breathing but is very weak at it, due to him ‘not seeing the water come out of the sword’.
- Ozaki (尾崎, Ozaki)
- A member of the Demon Slayer Corps who was sent to Natagumo Mountain. Killed by the Mother Spider Demon.
- Kanae Kocho (胡蝶 カナエ, Kochō Kanae)
- Former Flower Hashira. Shinobu’s late biological older sister and Kanao‘s late adoptive older sister who was killed by Doma, one of the Upper Moons.
The Demons (鬼, Oni) are immortal creatures who feed on human flesh and blood to survive and become stronger with each human they devour. All demons are former humans who lose most of their memories and almost all traces of humanity after drinking or being injected with Muzan Kibutsuji’s blood becoming his servants and sharing their own vision and thoughts with him. Higher Demons are also capable of casting powerful magic spells called Blood Demon Arts (血鬼術, Kekkijutsu). The specifics of these spells are unique to each Demon.
All Demons are weak to sunlight, being easily destroyed upon being exposed to it, but they can be also killed by decapitation with special swords used by the Demon Slayers called Nichirin Blades (日輪刀, Nichirin Tō). Demons also are highly intolerant to wisteria flowers, avoiding places where such plants are abundant and wisteria extract can be lethal to them in high doses.
- The primary antagonist of the series, Muzan Kibutsuji (鬼舞辻 無惨, Kibutsuji Muzan) was the first and strongest demon in existence. He used his blood to sire the other demons. He was able to manipulate his cellular structure and frequently disguised himself as different humans of various ages and genders. He would program transplanted cells within demons he directly sired to destroy them if they ever mentioned him by name. He could devour the cells of others to assimilate their abilities and memories as well. Muzan was originally a sickly young man from the Heian period whose transition into a demon was the result of an experimental treatment to prolong his life. He killed his doctor before realizing it worked. Muzan has since dedicated himself to “complete his treatment” by siring demons that would help him achieve his goal of having no weaknesses, the sun being his only one. He also expressed a justified concern towards those who utilized the Breath of the Sun technique since his near death experience from fighting Yoriichi Tsugikuni. This motivated him to attack Tanjiro‘s family in an attempt of turning at least one of them into a demon that was naturally immune to sunlight. Nezuko Kamado, the only survivor of the incident, eventually manifested that ability and Muzan focused his efforts to capture and devour her to remove his only weakness. But the Demon Slayer Corps exploited Muzan’s obsession and laid a trap for him which killed his remaining followers. Muzan killed Tamayo and many Demon Slayers before realizing that he was infected with a variation of the humanity-restoring serum that Tamayo and Shinobu developed with added poisons that removed most of his abilities and weakened him to be easily killed. This resulted in his body being destroyed by the sunlight when he is held back by the Demon Slayers. Muzan’s final act of revenge was to turn Tanjiro into a new demon so he would kill the Demon Slayers. This was thwarted when Tanjiro turned back into human with his friends’ help.
The Twelve Kizuki (十二鬼月, Jū Ni Kizuki) is a special group of demons serving under Muzan, with a mark of their membership engraved on their eye.There are six lower moons. The six weakest are known as the Lower Ranks and have a single eye engraved, while the six strongest are called the Upper Ranks and have both eyes engraved. After Rui’s death, Muzan decides to eliminate the Lower Ranks and have only the Upper Ranks under his command.
The low-ranking members of the Twelve Kizuki, whose membership is constantly shifting compared to the Upper Ranks. Following the death of their member Rui, Muzan kills them all but Enmu for being worthless to his plans.
- Rui (累, Rui)
- A youth-like Demon holding the position of Lower Rank Five, he was originally a sickly child before Muzan transformed him and he later killed his parents in self-defense when they attempted to kill him before taking their own lives. The ordeal caused Rui to forget his parents while receiving Muzan’s permission to transform other humans and demons with his blood into a replacement family that he abuses due to his lack of understanding familial bonds. This played in his envy for the Kamado siblings’ dedication for each other as they manage to greatly injure him before he was easily killed by Giyuu, remembering his parents in his final moments while reunited with them in death.
- Kamanue (釜鵺)
- Holding the position of Lower Rank Six, he is killed by Muzan when he decides to purge the Lower Ranks because Muzan reads his mind when he thinks the Lower Ranks should not be shunned for their weakness, which Muzan interprets as disagreeing with him.
- Mukago (零余子)
- Holding the position of Lower Rank Four, she is killed by Muzan when he decides to purge the Lower Ranks because Muzan deduced she was more afraid of the Demon Slayers than him, and interpreted her attempt at saving face as contradicting him.
- Wakuraba (病葉)
- Holding the position of Lower Rank Three, he is killed by Muzan when he decides to purge the Lower Ranks when he tries to escape.
- Rokuro (轆轤)
- Holding the position of Lower Rank Two, he is killed by Muzan when he decides to purge the Lower Ranks because he asked Muzan, who does not accept being ordered to do anything, to grant him more power.
- Enmu (魘夢)
- A sadistic demon holding the position of Lower Rank One who is the closest strongest demon to the Upper Ranks and strongly devoted to Muzan, his Blood Demon Art allowing him to enter and manipulate a person’s dream so he can essentially kill them. Being the Lower Rank that Muzan spared after he slaughtered the others, Enmu is given the task to kill the Hashira and Tanjiro. Enmu lays a trap for Tanjiro and his friends on a train that he later fuses himself to, only to be killed by the Demon Slayers to his shock.
- Hairo (佩狼, Hairō)
- A demon holding the position of Lower Rank Two that used to fight with a gun and capable of casting shadowy figures that can destroy everything they touch. He is killed by Kyojuro who is awarded the title of Flame Hashira for the feat.
- Ubume (姑獲鳥)
- A female demon holding the position of Lower Rank One her blood demon art allows her to cast illusion at will. She was later killed by Sanemi Shinezugawa.
The high-ranking members of the Twelve Moons. Each of them has lived for a century at least and killed dozens of Hashira. Some of them mutated their bodies to the point that they cannot be killed just by decapitation, unlike other demons. Their ranks were unaltered for decades and no Demon Slayer had managed to kill any of them prior to Tanjiro and his friends joining the organization.
- Kaigaku (獪岳)
- A young demon who attained the position of Upper Rank Six after the deaths of Daki and Gyutaro. Originally one of the orphans under Gyomei Himejima, he was chased out by the other children for stealing temple money and encountered a demon, which he then let into the temple in exchange for having his life spared, leading to their deaths and Gyomei’s wrongful imprisonment. He then becomes a member of the Demon Slayer Corps, learning the Thunder Breathing from Jigoro along with Zenitsu, before betraying the Slayer Corps and allowing himself to be transformed into a demon by Kokushibo, which leads Jigoro to commit seppuku in atonement. Unlike Zenitsu, who only mastered the first of the six techniques of the Thunder Breathing, Kaigaku only mastered the other five. He is killed when Zenitsu strikes him with a seventh, exclusive technique developed by him.
- Nakime (鳴女)
- A biwa-playing demon in charge of controlling the Infinity Castle (異空間無限城, Ikūkan Mugen-jō, Dimensional Infinity Fortress) that Kibutsuji made his base of operations. She was once a struggling musician who developed a disturbing habit of murdering prior to a performance as she associated her killings with applause. She ended up meeting Kibutsuji when she tried to kill him, only to earn his respect for tracking him and grants her new life as a demon. Nakime is later promoted to Upper Rank Four after Hantengu’s death. Nakime confronts Mitsuri and Obanai until she is restrained by Yushiro, prompting Muzan to kill her to prevent his enemies from taking control of the fortress.
- Akaza (猗窩座)
- Holding the position of Upper Rank Three, he is a demon who despises weaklings and offers those he considers strong enough to have his respect the chance to become demons. He was once a human called Hakuji (狛治) who stole as a child to care for his ailing father before he committed suicide to free his burdened son. Hakuji was adopted by a martial artist and trained under him while falling in love with his master’s daughter Koyuki. But Hakuji loses his new family when they were poisoned by a rival dojo who were unable to beat him in a fair fight, slaughtering them single-handedly before being turned into a demon by Muzan. Azaka fatally wounded Rengoku and later battles Tanjiro and Giyu, the battles ending when Akaza regained his human memories and ceases his regeneration to die.
- Doma (童磨, Dōma)
- A nihilistic demon who holds the position of Upper Rank Two. As a child, he was seen by his parents as a perfect, blessed child, thus they started a religious cult around his figure. After his parents’ deaths, he assumed control of the cult and after being transformed into a demon by Muzan, he started eating his followers on the notion that those he devour will live forever inside him. One member of his cult was Inosuke‘s mother, whom he devoured when she ran away from him upon learning his true nature. He also killed Shinobu’s older sister Kanae. In a desperate measure to defeat him, Shinobu administers a massive dose of Wisteria in her body and allows herself to be consumed by him. The weakened Doma is later killed by Kanao and Inosuke.
- Daki (堕姫)
- A demon disguised as an oiran, Daki shares the position of Upper Rank Six with her brother Gyutaro, both taking advantage of her work in the red-light district to attract their victims．Her human name was Ume (梅), and she was born as Gyutaro’s younger sister in a poor family in Entertainment District. Over time, when she was working in the Entertainment District when she was 13, she stabbed a visitor’s eyes with a hairpin and blinded him, so she was burned alive in retaliation. She is about to die and is carried to Gyutaro but meets Doma, who was Upper Rank Six at the time, and turns into a demon. She is killed by Zenitsu and Inosuke. After that, she returned to her former appearance and met Gyutaro in a dark place, and she was repelled by Gyutaro saying “Go to the brighter side”, but she did not try to leave Gyutaro and swore that “she would become his sister even if they were reborn”, and go to hell together.
- Gyutaro (妓夫太郎, Gyūtarō)
- A demon with a hideous appearance, Gyutaro shares the position of Upper Rank Six with his sister Daki. He usually hides within Daki and emerged only when her life was threatened. He fights with techniques using his blood and sickles which deliver his poisoned blood to the people who get hit. He is very protective of his sister and always watches over her from the sidelines. As siblings, to be killed, he needs to be beheaded together with Daki to actually kill them. He is killed by Tengen and Tanjiro.
- Gyokko (玉壼)
- A demon with a distorted appearance who always nests himself into a jar. He holds the position of Upper Rank Five. Gyokko claims himself an artist and is incredibly proud of his creations, one of which is twisting his victims’ bodies while still alive, turning them into grotesque, living sculptures. His pride as an artist also goes so far that he wanted to beak Haganezuka’s concentration by attacking him while he was sharpening a sword instead of killing him, since he wanted to prove himself as the better artist. He is killed by Muichiro.
- Hantengu (半天狗)
- A seemingly weak demon who holds the position of Upper Rank Four, Hantengu shows his true strength upon dividing himself into multiple incarnations which denote different emotions, each with different appearances, personalities and abilities. He is killed by Tanjiro but lives long enough to inform Muzan about Nezuko Kamado‘s newfound resistance to sunlight, much to his master’s joy.
- Kokushibo (黒死牟, Kokushibō)
- Muzan’s most powerful subordinate holding the title of Upper One, Kokushibo was originally a Demon Slayer called Michikatsu Tsugikuni (継国巌勝, Tsugikuni Michikatsu) and the older twin brother of Yoriichi. Envious of his brother’s talent, he ends up tempted to join Muzan’s side as a demon in order to eternally perfect himself as a swordsman without the worry of dying of sickness or old age. His fighting style is “Moon Breathing” (月の呼吸, Tsuki no kokyū), which directly derives from Yoriichi’s Sun Breathing. One of the reasons of his death is a combined effort of Gyomei, Sanemi, Genya and Muichiro, with the latter two dying from their wounds soon after.
- Spider Demon (Mother) (蜘蛛鬼「母」, Kumo Oni (Haha))
- A member of the Spider Family. Once a young girl who was turned into a demon, she was forced to assume the role of “Mother” by Rui and have her appearance altered. She can control humans using her spider threads, which are attached by small white red and blue spiders. Always living in fear of Rui, she ends up accepting death while fighting Tanjiro and allows herself to be slain by him.
- Spider Demon (Elder Brother) (蜘蛛鬼「兄」, Kumo Oni (Ani))
- A member of the Spider Family. He assumes the role of “Elder Brother” and is one of the two in the family that only assume a semi-human appearance, the lower half of his body being that of a giant spider’s. He can turn humans into monstrous semi-spiders when his minions bite them but is subsequently beheaded by Zenitsu.
- Spider Demon (Father) (蜘蛛鬼「父」, Kumo Oni (Chichi))
- A member of the Spider Family. He assumes the role of “Father” and like Older Brother, has a semi-human appearance in that he has a spider head. He possesses monstrous strength. Inosuke has a hard time fighting it before the monster is easily killed by Giyu.
- Spider Demon (Daughter) (蜘蛛鬼「姉」, Kumo Oni (Ane))
- A member of the Spider Family. She assumes the role of “Daughter” and can create acidic prisons of thread that dissolve her enemies and convert them into her food. She is then subdued and killed by Shinobu.
- Temple Demon (お堂の鬼, Odō no Oni)
- A demon who Tanjiro and Nezuko Kamado briefly encounter and defeat together.
- Hand Demon (手鬼, Teoni)
- A vengeful demon who was captured by Urokodaki and trapped on a mountain used for testing applicants for the Demon Slayer Corps. Unable to escape the mountain, he made it his goal to target and eat all of Urokodaki’s disciples as revenge for being trapped including Makomo and Sabito. He succeeded for the most part, only failing to eat Giyu and later, Tanjiro.
- Swamp Demon (沼鬼, Numaoni)
- A demon who has been kidnapping young women. He attempts to consume girls before they go beyond 16 years and “become rotten”. He is the target of Tanjiro‘s first assignment as a Demon Slayer and is eventually killed by him.
- Yahaba (矢琶羽, Yahaba)
- A demon who directly serves Muzan. While he believes that he is one of the Twelve Kizuki, he is actually not, as he lacks a number on his eye: the mark of a Kizuki. His power is to manipulate the movement and direction of things using the eyeballs on the palms of his hands. He works together with Susamaru and is killed by Tanjiro.
- Susamaru (朱紗丸, Susamaru)
- A demon who directly serves Muzan. While she believes that she is one of the Twelve Kizuki, she is actually not, as she lacks a number on her eye: the mark of a Kizuki. Her power is in her Temari, which is incredibly hard and heavy. She uses it like a projectile weapon along with Yahaba’s ability. She is defeated when Tamayo uses her hypnosis to trigger the curse Muzan put on the demons under his control to kill them should they talk to anyone about him.
- Tongue Demon
- A demon that lived in the Tsuzumi Mansion. He is slain by Zenitsu.
- Horned Demon
- Voiced by: Yoshihisa Kawahara
- A demon that lived in the Tsuzumi Mansion. He is slain by Inosuke.
- Kyogai (響凱, Kyōgai)
- A demon and former member of the Twelve Kizuki, Kyogai is known as the “Tsuzumi Demon” (鼓の鬼, Tsuzumi no Oni). He was stripped of his number by Muzan due to slowly losing the ability to eat humans and reaching his “limit”. Because of this, he obsessively tries to earn his spot back in the Twelve Kizuki, attacking and eating humans who pass by the Tsuzumi Mansion. Prior to becoming a demon, Kyogai was an unsuccessful poet whose works were rejected by his father. He fights using the tsuzumi drums embedded into his body; striking them would turn rooms around and while changing rooms throughout the house and creating powerful air slashes. Kyogai is slain in a grueling battle by Tanjiro.
The members of the Kamado family are descendants of Sumiyoshi, old friend of Yoriichi Tsugikuni who created the ceremonial dance known as Hinogami Kagura based on the movements of Yoriichi’s Sun Breathing. The only surviving members are Tanjiro and Nezuko Kamado, after their father’s death by disease and their other relatives being killed by Muzan Kibutsuji in an attempt to sire more demons.
- Tanjūrō Kamado (竈門 炭十郎, Kamado Tanjūrō)
- The late husband of Kie Kamado and father of Tanjiro Kamado and Nezuko Kamado Kamado. From him, Tanjiro inherits his earrings and the Hinogami Kagura, which he could perform effortlessly for hours despite his poor health.
- Kie Kamado (竈門 葵枝, Kamado Kie)
- Kie was married to Tanjūrō Kamado and had six children, including Tanjiro and Nezuko Kamado. After her husband’s death, she was left to take care of them all by herself with Tanjiro being the eldest son helping her. She manages to support and keep her family happy until she was killed by Muzan Kibutsuji.
- Takeo Kamado (竈門 竹雄, Kamado Takeo)
- Kamado Takeo is Tanjūrō’ Kamado’s third child and Tanjiro and Nezuko Kamado‘s younger brother. He seems to be an introvert and unsociable person. He was killed by Muzan Kibutsuji.
- Hanako Kamado (竈門 花子, Kamado Hanako)
- Hanako is the fourth child in Kamado family. She adores Tanjiro and wanted to follow him when he was going away for selling charcoal but she was forbidden by their mother. Tanjiro told her to wait for him until he come back but she was killed by Muzan Kibutsuji by the time Tanjiro returned.
- Shigeru Kamado (竈門 茂, Kamado Shigeru)
- Shigeru is the fifth child to Tanjūrō and Kei. Similar to Hanako, he also adores his brother Tanjiro and wanted to follow him. He was killed by Muzan Kibutsuji.
- Rokuta Kamado (竈門 六太, Kamado Rokuta)
- He is the youngest child in Kamado family who was killed by Muzan Kibutsuji. Nezuko Kamado is often reminded of him when she sees other humans.
- Sumiyoshi (炭吉)
- He is an ancestor of the Kamado family who was friends with Yoriichi Tsugikuni, the creator of the Sun Breathing. He is the one who develops the Hinokami Kagura based on a demonstration of the Sun Breathing Yoriichi made to him and his family. He also receives from Yoriichi the same Hanafuda earrings which Tanjiro uses.
- Sumihiko Kamado (竈門 炭彦, Kamado Sumihiko)
- Tanjiro and Kanao‘s descendant from the modern days. He is a 15 year-old boy who resembles to Tanjiro and is very nimble.
- Kanata Kamado (竈門 カナタ, Kamado Kanata)
- Another of Tanjiro and Kanao‘s descendants from the modern days. He is 16 year-old and Sumihiko’s older brother and resembles Kanao.
- Shinjuro Rengoku (煉獄 槇寿郎, Rengoku Shinjurō)
- Former Flame Hashira and father of Kyōjurō and Senjuro. He quits the Demon Slayer Corps upon the realization that his Flame Breathing style is inferior to the original breath style, Sun Breathing. Since then he spends his days drinking at home until he receives Kyōjurō’s final message to him, asking his father to take care of himself. He reappears in the final battle against Muzan, standing guard to protect the Ubuyashiki family with Tengen.
- Ruka Rengoku (煉獄 瑠火, Rengoku Ruka)
- Shinjuro’s late wife and mother of Kyōjurō and Senjuro.
- Senjuro Rengoku (煉獄 千寿郎, Rengoku Senjuro)
- Kyōjurō’s younger brother. He becomes friends with Tanjiro and begins researching what documents remain from his estate about the Hinogami Kagura and its connection with the Sun Breathing. He later sends a letter to Tanjiro describing a thirteenth, lost technique from the Hinogami Kagura, hoping that it would help him in his battle against Muzan.
- Sakonji Urokodaki (鱗滝 左近次, Urokodaki Sakonji)
- A former Water Hashira; He is introduced to Tanjiro and Nezuko Kamado by his student Giyu. He is initially apprehensive of Tanjiro‘s kind nature, but agrees to train him. As the training goes on, he grows closer to both Tanjiro and Nezuko Kamado, and he sheds tears of joy, when Tanjiro returns from the Demon Slayer exam alive, as he is the first to do so after a long string of deaths. He has since kept a close eye on their growth. He has given his word to the Pillars that if Nezuko Kamado were to eat a human, then Tanjiro, as well Giyu and himself would kill her and themselves in atonement.
- Sabito (錆兎)
- One of Urokodaki’s disciples. He died during an exam to join the Demon Slayer Corps while trying to save other students who were not as strong as himself, Giyu being one of them. He was especially talented and strong. His spirit advises Tanjiro during his training. Both he and Makomo were killed by the Hand Demon who was captured by Urokodaki.
- Makomo (真菰)
- One of Urokodaki’s disciples. She died during an exam to join the Demon Slayer Corps. Like Sabito, she was very talented. She used her speed to her advantage while fighting. Her spirit advises Tanjiro during his training. Both she and Sabito were killed by the Hand Demon who was captured by Urokodaki.
- Kasugai Crow (鎹鴉, Kasugai Garasu)
- A crow that can speak human language, though it is very loud and limited. Every Demon Slayer has a crow that informs them of their new missions. Zenitsu, however, has a sparrow instead of a crow.
- Ukogi (うこぎ)
- A sparrow who was the only of his species to pass the exam to work as a Kasugai Crow. Assigned to Zenitsu, who nicknames him Chuntaro (ちゅん太郎, Chuntarō), he usually reprimands him when he shows cowardice.
- Tamayo (珠世)
- A talented doctor who is also a demon. She was converted into a demon by Muzan, which resulted in her killing and eating her family to her horror. Despite that, she was under Muzan’s control until the demon was almost killed by Yoriichi Tsugikuni who also spared her. She further altered herself to allow her to survive on a small amount of blood and no flesh. She is attempting to find a cure for demons, but requires the blood of special demons. To this end, she enlists help from Tanjiro, who offers some of Nezuko Kamado‘s blood as well as trying to get blood samples from members of the Twelve Kizuki. She can also create demons—the only other demon beside Muzan who can—but she insists on only doing it for dying patients who have no other option and ensures they know the price of becoming a demon. After completing her research on a cure for Nezuko Kamado‘s condition, Tamayo sacrifices herself to lay an ambush on Muzan with Kagaya’s help but despite failing to kill her sworn enemy, she poisons the demon with a mix of substances she developed with Shinobu’s help to greatly weaken him.
- Yushiro (愈史郎, Yushirō)
- A demon created by Tamayo. He cares for her greatly and is very protective of her. It has been implied that he loves her. He is the only demon made by Tamayo and as such, has no connection to Muzan. He only needs a small amount of blood to survive, even less than Tamayo. He is mentioned to have a “battle form” which he can change into. He has a special power which can erase the presence of living things as well as make the unseen seen. This technique is not perfect and the more people he attempts to hide, the easier it is to find them. After his master’s death, Yushiro assists the Demon Slayers in the final battle against Muzan by providing aid to the wounded soldiers and helping Tanjiro and his friends evade Muzan’s attacks with his detecting scrolls. After Muzan’s defeat, Yushiro keeps living as a demon all the way to the modern times, where he makes a living as a painter.
- Jigoro Kuwajima (桑島 慈悟郎, Kuwajima Jigorō)
- A former Thunder Hashira, he was the instructor for Zenitsu and Kaigaku. Jigoro also took the alias ‘Shihan’. He later commits seppuku in atonement for Kaigaku’s betrayal.
- Kotoha Hashibira (嘴平 琴葉, Hashibira Kotoha)
- Inosuke‘s late mother with a striking resemblance to him. She is killed by Doma, one of the Upper Moons, just after dropping Inosuke from a cliff in a desperate measure to save his life.
- Makio (まきを), Suma (須磨) and Hinatsuru (雛鶴)
- Three kunoichis and Tengen’s wives who assisted helping Tengen and his friends fight against the demons.
- Yoriichi Tsugikuni (継国 縁壱, Tsugikuni Yoriichi)
- Kokushibo’s younger brother who became a Demon Slayer after his pregnant wife was killed by a demon. He was the one who created the Sun Breathing and was so powerful that he once cornered and almost defeated Muzan by himself, but failed to destroy him completely, despite inflicting multiple wounds on the demon that never healed. He was later expelled from the Slayer Corps once they also learned that he let Tamayo live and his brother became a demon. He later befriends Tanjiro‘s ancestors and teach them the Sun Breathing, which they pass on to their lineage in the form of the Hinogami Kagura, along the same hanafuda earrings always used by Tanjiro. He died of old age during a fight with his brother.
- Saburo (三郎, Saburō)
- A villager who offers Tanjiro to stay at his home during the night his family was attacked by Muzan out of fear for his security.
- Toyo (豊)
- An udon street vendor. Toyo is very passionate about his udons and can get furious when his bowl is discarded without eating any. He ends up angry at Tanjiro when he flees, leaving his bowl untouched to chase after Muzan, but get pleased when he returns and eats two bowls of udon to make up for it.
- Teruko (てる子)
- A young girl, along with her brother Shoichi, who asks Tanjiro and Zenitsu to help save her brother Kiyoshi from the Tsuzumi Mansion.
- Shoichi (正一)
- A young boy, along with his sister Teruko, who asks Tanjiro and Zenitsu to help save her brother Kiyoshi from the Tsuzumi Mansion. When he is separated from his siblings inside the Mansion, he winds up in Zenitsu‘s company, quickly becoming aggravated with the Slayer’s cowardly demeanor. Due to Zenitsu having killed one of the demons pursuing them in his sleep, he thinks Shoichi is the one who saved his life when they escape the Mansion.
- Kiyoshi (清)
- Teruko and Shoichi’s elder brother, who gets kidnapped by the Tsuzumi Mansion demon, Kyogai. He is a human of a rare constitution called ‘marechi’, which according to demons, is far more nutritious than an average person, as it is implied that consuming one marechi is the same as consuming one hundred humans simultaneously. This makes such people extremely valuable to demons.
- Hisa (ひさ)
- An elderly woman who welcomes Demon Slayers to rest in her house. Tanjiro and his group visit her after they fight Kyogai.
- Fuku (ふく) and Tomi (とみ)
- Anime original characters, they are a grandmother and granddaughter pair who are bento sellers at a train station. They meet Kyojuro during his early investigation of the Mugen Train incident and are saved by him from a demon that emerged from the Mugen Train while it was in repairs. Many years ago, Tomi and her daughter (Fuku’s mother) were saved by Kyojuro’s father, Shinjuro from a demon, an incident which the former recalled after noticing the similarities between Kyojuro and Shinjuro’s fighting style. They are later shown to be the people who sold the bentos which Kyojuro eats on the Mugen Train.